The Best Free and Paid Print on Demand Clothing Companies (Feb 2023)
The best Print on Demand clothing companies are an excellent partner for business looking to grow at speed. With Print on Demand, you can bring your ideas to life with a host of customized products, making it easier to stand out from the competition. At the same time, you get the added benefit of not having to create your products yourself.
For business leaders working with POD companies, one of the most common product sectors to focus on is apparel. Most print on demand companies can create a host of clothing items, from dresses and skirts, to shirts, caps, and even leggings. All of these items are available in a host of styles, with as much or as little customization as you choose.
So, when Print on Demand clothing is so accessible, how do you choose which POD manufacturer to work with? Today, we’re going to be exploring some of the best print on demand clothing brands available right now. Here’s what you need to know to find the best pick for you.
Print on Demand Clothing: How it Works?
If you’ve always liked the idea of running an online store selling apparel around the world, print on demand clothing could be the perfect solution. A form of dropshipping, print on demand involves working with a partner to create and ship the products you want to sell. Rather than making your own items at home and selling them on stores like Etsy, you leverage the assistance of a professional company who creates your clothing for you.
Print on demand clothing partners allow you to create your own custom products with minimal upfront investment or work. Print-on-demand services can offer everything from white label phone cases to sweatshirts and face masks.
Most POD solutions will integrate with the tools you already use online, so you can connect to things like your Shopify store to increase sales. Plus, you only need to buy for the products you want to sell after someone else has bought it. This makes print on demand a very low-risk business option.
- Easy to create a wide range of products fast, so you can quickly grow a portfolio of clothing items and apparel products.
- Lots of branding options. You can add your own branding to all kinds of men’s and women’s clothing, so it’s easier to build a memorable brand.
- No fulfilment concerns: your print on demand dropshipping company will get your items to your customers in a few business days, so you can focus on growing your ecommerce business.
- Low risk and investment. You can access competitive prices for your clothing line and keep the costs of running an ecommerce store as low as possible to begin with.
- Lower margins: Your returns from working with printing partners via POD could be lower than if you were to do the graphic design work yourself, or purchase items in bulk.
- Less control over shipping: You won’t always be able to guarantee quick fulfilment for your customers, which can lead to poor customer satisfaction.
- Customization limitations: While POD companies offer a lot of customization options, there is a limit on what you can sell.
What are the Best Print On Demand Companies for Selling Clothing (Paid + Free)?
- Print Aura
Printful is probably the go-to Print on Demand company for most business leaders. With distribution centers around the world, Printful can ensure you’re able to reach your target customer with minimal shipping costs and fulfillment hassles. Although Printful offers a wide range of products you can customize for your POD catalog, it’s particularly rich in clothing options.
You can design everything from T-shirts and sweaters to shirts and dresses with Printful and apply customizations in a host of ways. Printful offers things like cut and sew, embroidery, and screen printing to add your unique designs to your clothing for you.
Perhaps one of the most appealing things about Printful is how easy it is to use. You’ll be able to start creating stunning mockups in a matter of minutes, which can save you a lot of time and headaches. Printful also gives you the option to order samples of the items you want to sell, so you can take photos and check the quality. There’s a 20% discount on samples.
Printful’s pricing is based on what you want to buy and sell. There’s no monthly fee to worry about. Instead, you pay for the base price of your chosen products, as well as the costs of customizing those items and delivering them to customers around the world. Thanks to partnerships with shipping companies worldwide, the expenses are usually quite low.
You may pay more for Printful POD selling if you want to cover your products in more custom designs, or if you have specific requests regarding packaging.
- Huge selection of clothing products
- Integrates with various leading tools
- Mockup generator with sample products available
- Lots of printing and customization types
- Easy to use back-end environment
- Costs can add up depending on what you sell
- Shipping settings can be a little complex
Best for ✅
Printful is the leading all-around solution for Print on Demand right now. If you want to sell a wide range of clothing products with various customizations, Printful will ensure you can build your entire portfolio from scratch. The mockup generator is particularly useful.
For those who aren’t entirely sold on Printful, Printify is often the next best choice. Similar to Printful in its wide range of product and customization options, Printify will ensure you can build a name for yourself as a clothing retailer. The Printify ecosystem makes it easy to find manufacturers you want to work with around the world, and order samples to check the quality.
There are plenty of clothing options available, including T-shirts, hoodies, and accessories. Plus, you can choose from things like embroidery and cut-and-sew to add your designs. Store owners can also expand their branding by adding unique labels and packaging options. With Printify, you’ll also have access to a range of shipping partners, to reach your customers as quickly as possible.
Printify may not be quite as far-reaching as Printful, but it’s a close competitor, with access to unique bonuses, like the option to sign up for a premium plan. The premium plan means you can get discounts of up to 20% on all your orders – so it’s great for volume selling.
There are two ways you can use Printify. The first option is to stick with the free-to-use service, similar to what you’d expect from Printful. With this avenue, you pay only for the cost of your items, customizations and shipping.
If you switch to the Premium selling option, you’ll pay a monthly fee of $29 per month, but this also gives you access to unlimited product options, and a discount on all the products you sell. This is generally a good choice if you’re selling a lot of products.
- Lots of global vendors to choose from
- Huge range of printing options
- Lots of product options to choose
- Decent quality of service
- Worldwide shipping partnerships
- Some vendors aren’t as reliable as others
- Premium may be pricey for beginners
Best for ✅
Thanks to it’s Premium pricing option, Printify is particularly well-suited to companies selling POD clothing at volume. With the premium package, you can save a lot of cash on making a large number of items for your customers.
Sellfy is a POD service with a twist. It allows you to create a complete eCommerce store from scratch and design and launch POD and digital products right off the bat.
When it comes to creating your store, you can pick from a library of mobile-optimized templates and customize its logos and colors to suit your brand. Hosting is included, and you can link to your custom domain name.
Their POD service includes a built-in designer that enables you to add graphics to the following products:
- Phone cases
For many of their products, there are options for custom embroidery, labeling, and sizing. You can also accept customer payments from over 200 countries via PayPal and Stripe. In addition, you can customize invoices with advanced settings for VAT, tax, and bookkeeping.
Of course, like other POD platforms, when it comes to the inventory, shipping, and fulfillment of Sellfy’s POD products, Sellfy manages the ins and outs of that. But you can also sell your own physical products – you’ll just have to manage the shipping and fulfillment yourself.
In terms of marketing tools, Sellfy offers discount codes, cart recovery, upselling, and email automation. You can also add product links to your YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook accounts.
The plans start at $29 a month (monthly billing). This will enable you to sell an unlimited number of products, create subscriptions, and use email automation.
However, it’s worth noting that if you exceed the annual sales threshold of a given plan, you’re automatically upgraded to the next tier up.
- You can create a fully hosted customizable website
- There are built-in tools for marketing and eCommerce
- You aren’t charged transaction fees other than that of your chosen payment gateway.
- You can’t remove Sellfy’s branding on the lower-tier plans
- There are limited integration options
- There’s a threshold for how much you can earn in sales each year for each pricing tier.
Best for ✅
Sellfy is best for newbie POD sellers who want to start selling fast without the hassle of vetting multiple vendors. All in all, we think Sellfy includes all the basic tools you’ll need to launch an eCommerce store.
If you’re looking for a slightly different solution for print on demand selling, RedBubble could be just the service for you. This incredible website is actually a marketplace environment, where artists and clothing designers can sell the items, they create to an existing audience of fans.
RedBubble is ideal for clothing companies hoping to focus more time on design and less time on marketing, because the customers you need to grow your company will already be available on the marketplace. What’s more, with this marketplace, you’ll have a huge range of potential products to choose from, ranging from t-shirts and hats to dresses and accessories.
RedBubble is extremely easy to use, with a convenient mock-up generator to show you exactly what your products are going to look like. The ecosystem also comes with access to a range of tools for peace of mind, like free returns, exchanges, and money-back guarantees.
- Excellent for peace of mind with customer service
- Fantastic wide range of clothing products to choose from
- Find products in an existing marketplace
- Excellent community for guidance and support
- Lots of customization options for clothing
- Can be difficult to get support
- Slow shipping times for some products
For fans of selling apparel, Gooten is another market leading service with a wide selection of product options to choose from. Gooten is a little different from most Print on Demand solutions, because you’re not limited to only printing your own designs. You’ll also have access to a wide selection of artists, who can help you out with custom creations.
The Gooten ecosystem is packed full of opportunities to grow your brand, whether you want to bring someone else’s work to life on t-shirts and other apparel, or you want to sell your own art. Gooten handles all the complicated aspects of running your own business, including making your products and shipping them to customers.
Perhaps one of the best things about using Gooten as a POD solution for selling clothing, is that it integrates with a host of ecommerce platforms like Amazon, Shopify and eBay. Products you can sell range all the way from home accessories to kids apparel too.
Similar to many POD companies, there’s no monthly fee for Gooten. You’ll file your details with the company and start selling almost immediately. All you need to pay for is the cost of the base item you want to sell, the price of the customizations, and the fees associated with shipping your products to a customer. You can even choose your own profits.
Keep in mind, compared to other POD companies, Gooten’s products can be a little pricey in some areas.
- Excellent range of clothing products
- Very simple backend for beginners
- Lots of integration with ecommerce platforms
- Fantastic range of alternative design options
- Automated order tracking
- Can be a little expensive for some items
- Not a lot of marketing support
Best for ✅
If you’re looking for an easy way to start selling your own art, or you need help finding custom designs for your products, Gooten is going to be one of the best choices for you. It’s even easy to use for beginners.
Though not as well-known as some other POD companies, Apliiq is one of the top choices around for clothing design. Focusing on apparel, the company offers a host of different product options, including joggers, beanies, printed tees, and pocket tees.
Appliq takes a unique approach to Print on Demand selling, by allowing users to partner with specific designers to create the kind of clothing they want. There’s also access to a host of additional customization options you won’t find elsewhere, like private labels, patches, and woven labels. You can also experiment with things like applique, embroidery, cut and sew, and other options.
If you’re serious about fashion and you want to sell only the highest quality of premium clothes, Apliiq is a good choice. Though production can take up to 7 days for orders, there is the option to ship to more than 150 countries.
Like most POD providers, Apliiq has a free-to-use service where you only pay for the products you want to sell, the shipping, and the customization elements. Notably, you won’t have to pay for a specific monthly subscription on this plan. However, there’s an alternative option too.
For as little as $100 per year, you can upgrade to a plan which offers 100 custom labels to sew onto your product. You’ll also be paying for quality assurance, which involves having an in-house artist check your product and make tweaks if necessary.
- Excellent for high-quality clothing design
- Unique extras you won’t get elsewhere
- Excellent wholesale discounts
- Shipping worldwide
- Lots of partner options to choose from
- Production may take longer than for other POD brands
- Clothing is your only sales option
Best for ✅
If you’re serious about building a name for yourself as a fashion icon, and you want to make sure you’re producing high quality products every time, then Apliiq is a great choice. You’ll be able to create clothing you just can’t make with other POD companies.
Offering hundreds of customized products, CustomCat is another top contender for the best print on demand company for selling apparel. The business-friendly structure of the company makes it easier for entrepreneurs to get started, even if they don’t have a lot of experience with POD technology.
You’ll have 100s of products to choose from, including flip flops, shirts, tanks, hats, and many others. There’s also plenty of ways to brand your items, such as digital printing, dye sublimation, and embroidery. As an added bonus, CustomCat also integrates well with other business tools like Shopify, WooCommerce, and so on.
There are more than 50,000 partners on CustomCat already, and the company produces around 40,000 units to ship around the world every day.
CustomCat follows the standard structure for Print on Demand selling, which involves asking companies to pay for the base price of the items they’re selling, the fees for customization, and the cost of shipping to customers. You won’t need to pay for a monthly or annual subscription.
- Very easy to use for beginners
- Integration with leading site building tools
- Quick fulfillment worldwide
- No monthly or subscription fees
- High-quality items
- Some limitations to product options
Best for ✅
CustomCat is one of the easier products to use for print on demand business development. You’ll be able to set up a store in no time with a huge selection of products to choose from. There’s also the benefit of easy integration.
8. Print Aura
One of the most popular choices for custom apparel, Print Aura is a simple and effective POD solution for all kinds of entrepreneurs. There’s a huge selection of products to choose from, including onesies, and face masks. You’ll also be able to add your branding in a host of different ways, to ensure your items stand out from the competition.
Print Aura appeals to a lot of beginners in the POD world, because there’s no minim order requirement, so you can order just one item at a time. Printing and shipping is reasonably affordable, and turnaround times are decent too, usually between 3-5 days. There’s also the option for expedited processing if your customer is in a hurry.
Print Aura’s design tool also makes it easier to check the quality of your designs and make sure everything looks great before you start selling.
Similar to other Print on Demand companies, Print Aura only asks users to pay for the cost of making and shipping their products. This means you pay for the base price of the product, the cost of any customizations, and the fee for shipping your items to customers.
One helpful feature of Print Aura is the calculator you can use to determine how much your products are going to cost, and what kind of profit you can get.
- Multiple customization and printing options
- Lots of label choices for products
- No minimum monthly orders
- Mockup generator for checking your designs
- Automatic order tracking
- Pricing calculator
- Shipping can get expensive in some cases
- Slow customer service responses
Best for ✅
Print Aura makes it easier for brands to stand out in a competitive landscape with plenty of choices for product customization. We’re particularly fond of the product for beginners who need to calculate their profit margins in advance.
Spreadshirt is another well-known option for print on demand products – particularly if you’re interested in selling apparel. The company offers plenty of great products to choose from, including sweaters, hoodies, and baby clothing. You’ll also be able to access the service in 12 different languages, which is great for international selling.
Spreadshirt is unique among print in demand companies because it’s committed to creating eco-friendly products and responsible items. There’s a real emphasis on transparent manufacturing methods and excellent working conditions too.
Interestingly, Spreadshirt also gives you various ways to build your brand, such as using your own store for selling and marketing your items or using the existing Spreadshirt marketplace.
Spreadshirt is free to access for POD services, which means you just need to pay the base price for your products and the costs of customization. The base price of most products will be comparable with other Print on Demand leaders, just make sure you keep an eye on the fees as you add more custom features.
Do keep in mind that the shipping costs of Spreadshirt can quickly add up if you’re not careful. Shipping to international countries is often quite expensive.
- Easy to sell using the marketplace or independent stores
- Great range of customization options
- PayPal payments available
- Decent commission profits available
- Eco-friendly approach to design and customization
- Can be difficult to market your own products
- Custom designs and shipping can be expensive
Best for ✅
Spreadshirt is a pretty reliable way to start selling custom apparel online if you don’t want to start from scratch. You can use the existing marketplace to find the customers you need to make a decent profit and begin earning money in no time.
Teespring started out as a print on demand company selling T-shirts you could customize with different designs. Since then, the business has evolved dramatically, featuring a huge selection of new products to choose from, including socks, accessories, and tote bags. If you’re new to POD, you’ll be able to jump into action pretty quickly, with easy design features to get you started.
Teespring comes with tons of customization options, so you can make your products really stand out, and there’s always the option to explore some of the top creators if you need extra inspiration. To help certain companies sell more, Teespring can also advertise your product as a “featured selection”.
The existing marketplace on Teespring and it’s boosted network service means you don’t have to do a lot of promotion on your own to get attention from customers too.
Teespring’s services are free to use, so you pay online for the base cost of your items, and the costs associated with customizing and shipping them. Teespring will handle all the difficult things on your behalf, and you can choose your profit margin.
It can be difficult to achieve results with Teespring for some people, however, as you have to set a time limit for your sales.
- Fantastic mock-up generator for design creations
- Boosted network for easy marketing
- Lots of product options to choose from
- Straightforward ordering process
- Simple intuitive interface
- Time limits on selling each product
- Limitations on product customization
Best for ✅
TeeSpring is a good choice if you’re looking for a quick way to get your products seen by an existing audience of potential buyers. However, you’ll need to make sure you can act quickly to generate sales, due to the time limits.
How to Choose your POD Company
Choosing the right custom print provider for your print on demand clothing business can be a challenging process. There are a lot of great companies out there to consider. Fortunately, we have some quick tips on the factors you may need to think about.
- Product options: You want a fantastic range of product options so you can expand your business however you choose. Whether working with TeeLaunch, Teespring or Printify, make sure you can sell all the items you like, from clothing to wall art and stickers.
- Customization: Most POD companies will give you helpful templates you can use to customize your items. Look for a provider with lots of ways to make your items stand out. Direct to garment printing, embroidery, and sublimation printing are all good options to look for, as are custom labels and multiple design placements.
- Shipping: A good print provider should be able to help you sell products fast with rapid shipping times. Remember, your customers want to get their purchases as quickly as possible. Avoid companies with slow shipping times.
- Fees: The fees you need to pay with a POD company can vary. Look at the base costs of the items you want to sell, the price of customization, costs for shipping, and whether there are any subscription fees to consider.
- Minimum orders: Make sure you can order as few items as you want at any given time, so you don’t have to waste cash when people are only ordering one or two things. Discounts on ordering sample products can also be useful.
You may also need to consider things like customer support, and how quick the team will be to answer your questions. Or how about whether your POD solution integrates with your existing website builder?
Find the Right Clothing POD Company
Print on demand clothing is one of the most common areas of print on demand selling. All of the top POD companies offer a range of clothing products to customize and sell. Choosing the right provider for your needs means thinking about what you want your future to look like. What kind of items do you need access to, and how do you want to print and customize your products?
Good luck finding your POD provider.